Date: February 19, 2017
Location: Edison Ballroom, New York, New York and in Los Angeles, California at the Beverly Hilton
Host: Lewis Black
Description: The Writers Guild Awards honor outstanding writing in film, television, new media, videogames, news, radio, promotional, and graphic animation categories.
Feature films eligible for a Writers Guild Award were exhibited theatrically for at least one week in Los Angeles during 2016 and were written under the WGA’s Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA) or under a bona fide collective bargaining agreement of the Writers Guild of Canada, Writers’ Guild of Great Britain, Writers Guild of Ireland, Writers’ Guild of South Africa, New Zealand Writers Guild, Film Writers’ Association (India), La Guilde Francaise des Scénaristes (France), Scriptwriters Guild of Israel, Société des Auteurs de Radio, Télévision et Cinéma (Québec), or Verband Deutscher Drehbuchautoren (VDD/Germany), collectively known as affiliate Guilds. Theatrical screenplays produced under the jurisdiction of the WGA or an affiliate Guild must have been submitted for Writers Guild Awards consideration.
Documentaries eligible for a Writers Guild Award featured an onscreen writing credit and were exhibited theatrically in Los Angeles or New York for one week during 2016. Theatrical documentaries must have been produced under the jurisdiction of the WGA or an affiliate Guild to be eligible for awards consideration.
Recently announced nominations for outstanding achievement in screenwriting:
- Hell or High Water, Written by Taylor Sheridan; CBS Films
- La La Land, Written by Damien Chazelle; Lionsgate
- Loving, Written by Jeff Nichols; Focus Features
- Manchester by the Sea, Written by Kenneth Lonergan; Amazon Studios/Roadside Attractions
- Moonlight, Screenplay by Barry Jenkins, Story by Tarell McCraney; A24
- Arrival, Screenplay by Eric Heisserer; Based on the Story “Story of Your Life” by Ted Chiang; Paramount Pictures
- Deadpool, Written by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick; Based on the X-Men Comic Books; Twentieth Century Fox Film
- Fences, Screenplay by August Wilson; Based on his Play; Paramount Pictures
- Hidden Figures, Screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi; Based on the Book by Margot Lee Shetterly; Twentieth Century Fox Film
- Nocturnal Animals, Screenplay by Tom Ford; Based on the Novel Tony and Susan by Austin Wright; Focus Features
- Author: The JT LeRoy Story, Written by Jeff Feuerzeig; Amazon Studios
- Command and Control, Telescript by Robert Kenner & Eric Schlosser, Story by Brian Pearle and Kim Roberts; Based on the book Command and Control by Eric Schlosser; American Experience Films
- Zero Days, Written by Alex Gibney; Magnolia Pictures
For more information on the Writers Guild of America, East, visit www.wgaeast.org. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, West, visit www.wga.org.Tags: August Wilson, Barry Jenkins, Tarell Alvin McCraney