by Trey Mangum | Shadow and Act
Awards season has officially kicked off! As with every year, the announcement of nominees for the Gotham Awards marks the start of the season that begins now and continues all the way until the Oscars.
A lot of Black talent and several projects from Black creatives are a part of this year’s slate of nods.
For Best Feature, Hustlers (featuring Keke Palmer, Lizzo and Cardi B), Uncut Gems (featuring Kevin Garnett and Lakeith Stanfield) and Waves (featuring Kelvin Harrison, Jr., Taylor Russell, Sterling K. Brown and Renée Elise Goldsberry) are among the nominees. For acting nominations, we have two for Clemency (Aldis Hodge and Alfre Woodard), as well as André Holland for High Flying Bird.
Steven Soderbergh’s High Flying Bird is also nominated for its script, with Tarell Alvin McCraney receiving a nomination for Best Screenplay. The Last Black Man in San Francisco, penned by Jimmie Fails, Joe Talbot, Rob Richert, is also nominated for that award.
History-making director Phillip Youmans, who helmed Burning Cane, is up for the Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award. For Breakthrough Actor, The Last Black Man in San Francisco’s Jonathan Majors and Waves’ Taylor Russell have nominations.
For Breakthrough Series – Long Form, Ava DuVernay’s When They See Us and McCraney’s David Makes Man are nominated. The canceled-to-soon Tuca & Bertie, starring Ali Wong and Tiffany Haddish, is nominated for Breakthrough Series – Short Form.
View the full list of nominees below:
- “American Factory”
- “Apollo 11”
- “The Edge of Democracy”
- “Midnight Traveler”
- “One Child Nation”
BINGHAM RAY BREAKTHROUGH DIRECTOR AWARD
- Laure De Clermont-Tonnerre, “The Mustang”
- Kent Jones, “Diane”
- Joe Talbot, “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
- Olivia Wilde, “Booksmart”
- Phillip Youmans, “Burning Cane”
- Lulu Wang, “The Farewell”
- Tarell Alvin McCraney, “High Flying Bird”
- Jimmie Fails, Joe Talbot, and Rob Richert, “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
- Noah Baumbach, “Marriage Story”
- Ari Aster, “Midsommar”
- Adam Driver, “Marriage Story”
- Aldis Hodge, “Clemency”
- Adam Sandler, “Uncut Gems”
- Willem Dafoe, “The Lighthouse”
- Andre Holland, “High Flying Bird”
- Florence Pugh, “Midsommar”
- Awkwafina, “The Farewell”
- Mary Kay Place, “Diane”
- Alfre Woodard, “Clemency”
- Elisabeth Moss, “Her Smell”
- Taylor Russell, “Waves”
- Julia Fox, “Uncut Gems”
- Aisling Franciosi, “The Nightingale”
- Jonathan Majors, “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
- Noah Jupe, “Honey Boy”
- Chris Galust, “Give Me Liberty”
BREAKTHROUGH SERIES – LONG FORM
- “David Makes Man”
- “My Brilliant Friend”
- “When They See Us”
BREAKTHROUGH SERIES – SHORT FORM
- “Russian Doll”
- “Tuca & Bertie”
Tags: Aldis Hodge, Alfre Woodard, André Holland, Ava DuVernay, Jimmie Fails, Jonathan Majors, Keke Palmer, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Kevin Garnett, Lakeith Stanfield, Lizzo, Phillip Youmans, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Sterling K. Brown, Tarell Alvin McCraney, Taylor Russell, Tiffany Haddish